- Using the dough hook of the stand mixer, combine the two types of flour, butter and salt while slowly drizzling in the vinegar and water.
- Form into a ball and let rest in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the dough, inserting and enclosing the sheet of butter in it.
- Give it its turns.
- Cream the softened butter with the sugar, add the ground almonds and flour then gradually add the eggs.
- Stir the room temperature pastry cream, combine the two mixtures then add the warmed alcohol.
176 g Traditional Butter 82% fat – Block 176 g sugar 176 g eggs 176 g finely ground almonds 26 g plain flour (T55, approximately 11% protein) 104 g pastry cream 18 g dark rum (optional) 850 g total weight
- Prepare a traditional pastry cream.
80 g milk 20 g egg yolks 16 g sugar 4 g plain flour (T55, approximately 11% protein) 4 g cream powder 124 g total weight 104 g total weight after reduction
Fruit and nut mixture
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts and almonds.
- Combine with the currants, pistachios, and cubed citrus peel.
62 g whole raw almonds 62 g whole raw hazelnuts 25 g whole green pistachios 50 g currants 50 g candied lemon peel cubes 50 g cubed candied orange peel 300 g total weight
Chocolate-fleur de sel shards
- Spread 500 g of tempered dark chocolate out thinly (30cm by 40cm) and sprinkle with fleur de sel.
500 g dark chocolate "extra amer" 67% 1 g fleur de sel 501 g total weight
Cocoa Polignac rolled oats
- Combine the sugar and cocoa powder.
- Combine the rolled oats with the egg whites then add to the sugar-cocoa mixture and stir to combine.
- Let dry and sift to separate the excess sugar-cocoa mixture from the rolled oats.
200 g oat flake 50 g egg whites 180 g sugar 30 g cacao powder 460 g total weight
Mendiant galette finishing touches
- Perform 5 single turns, respecting the resting time between turns.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 2 mm and cut into Ø26 cm circles.
- Let rest.
- Pipe 130 g of frangipane cream into Ø20 cm rings on a sheet of baking paper.
- Sprinkle with 90 g of the fruit and nut mixture and with 100 g of chocolate-fleur de sel shards, pressing down gently.
- Pipe out another 130 g of frangipane cream over top and place in the freezer.
- Using a pastry brush, moisten the edges of a puff pastry circle with water.
- Place a frangipane insert in the centre.
- Top with another circle of puff pastry and close the galette, giving it a quarter turn. Brush on a little more water to moisten the edges.
- Sprinkle each galette with cocoa Polignac rolled oats (approximately 60 g), then with finely ground cocoa nibs (approximately 5 g), and finally with the sugar-cocoa mixture (approximately 15 g).
- Turn the galette over (decorated side on a sheet of baking paper), and prick with a fork. Bake in a 165°C convection oven for approximately 50 minutes.
- Let cool then turn the galettes over.
- Place a Ø22 cm vol-au-vent cutter in the centre of each galette and sprinkle around the edges with icing sugar.