- Make a dough using all ingredients. Mix the fluid with the yeast until it has dissolved. Only add the salt when all ingredients are mixed. Let all ingredients mix, in 1st gear for about 5 minutes. Then add the dairy butter and knead into a homogeneous dough in the 2nd gear.
- Make sure the dough isn’t too soft. Knead for 7-8 minutes. After kneading, the dough has to be around 24 °C and needs to present a nice gluten window. If this temperature hasn’t been reached, continue kneading.
- After kneading, cover the dough with cling film and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangular shape of 40 x 60 cm. Leave it to rest for minimum 30 minutes, covered with cling film, in the freezer at -18 °C.
- TIP: When making different dough pieces, it is best to make the dough a day beforehand and keep it overnight at 2 °C.
- Take the Express butter sheet*** out of the refrigerator and incorporate it immediately into the dough. Use 1 kg butter per 3 kg dough.
- Start turning the dough by adding the tempered butter sheet on 1/2 of the dough. Close it to make sure all butter is covered.
- Make an incision on both closing sides of the dough. This way you can remove the tension from the dough and the butter will better spread during the turns.
- Roll the dough out in several steps. But be careful: too many steps create pressure that can lead to tearing of the dough. Make sure you keep a rectangular shape****! Roll the dough out to a thickness of 8 mm.
- Fold the dough in 4 (first turn). Turn the dough, after folding, in the other direction. Unroll in steps and fold in 4 again, mark it by pushing 2 small pits (second turn). Leave the dough to rest, covered with cling film, for 30 minutes*****. In the meantime, turn and fold all the other dough pieces.
- TIP: After folding, the dough can be kept cooled in the refrigerator until they have all been turned or you can use it straightaway after a sufficient cooling period.?
* Flour minimum strength of 12.5 % (preferably 13 to 15 %) Harder flour gives more voluminous products that are less likely to deflate after cooking.
** If you are going to freeze the product, use suitable yeast.
*** When you use our Express butter sheet, you don’t have to temper it to room temperature. Express butter can be used immediately when taking out of cooling. It has also been made with a thickness of 8 mm.
**** Take care of the turning! When folding, make sure the dough is closed nicely without leaving empty spaces or creating double folds, which would have an impact on the final product.
***** Corman butter allows you to turn in one single movement, but when the temperature in the working area is high, it is recommended to store the dough in a cool place.